Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

It took me ages, literally, to watch Kingsman: The Secret Service, but when I did I absolutely loved it. It was fun and thrilling, and the leading duo, Taron Egerton and Colin Firth, was fantastic. That's why I had high expectations for Kingsman: The Golden Circle, even though Colin Firth's character supposedly died (I knew he wasn't because of the damn trailer) and I was told it was terrible, one of 2017's worst movies even. It wasn't true for me. It did lack the magic of the original, but I still enjoyed it.

When the Kingsman headquarters are destroyed by  the ruthless drug lady Poppy Adams (Julianne Moore) who is planning on poisoning people with her drug so she can sell the antidote, surviving agents Eggsy (Taron Egerton) and Merlin (Mark Strong) discover an allied spy organization in the US and they must work together to deaf their new common enemy.

I gotta say that the plot is a bit all over the place. There is too much going on and the multiple subplots (Colin Firth's character is not dead, Eggsy's relationship with the Swedish princess, the dude from the first film who wants to take revenge on the Kingsman, the President of the United States being an ass, and some other stuff going on with the American spies) take away the focus from the main storyline, that being Eggsy saving the world, and it kind of gets lost in the middle of all the mess going on. However, the story still manages to deliver some nice twists and it's pretty entertaining.

One of the reasons I still enjoyed it in spite of the messy plot is the characters. Although Kingsman: The Golden Circle spends a bit too much time on the horde of new characters without giving them much to do instead of working a little better on the old ones, Eggsy, Harry and Merlin are still pretty awesome, the performances from Egerton, Firth and Strong are great and their chemistry has improved quite a bit since the last time.

20th Century Fox

Then there was the villain, Julianne Moore's Poppy Adams. She is a psychopath who loves the 50s. The characterization is very weak, and she is a much worst villain than Samuel L. Jackson's Valentine, but her performance is so entertaining I couldn't help but love her.

The humour isn't as good as it was in the first film. The attempts at humour don't always work and I'm still wondering what the hell was that Elton John subplot supposed to do. Make people laugh? Because it sure didn't make me laugh. I gotta admit though that I liked seeing him and listening to his songs throughout the film.

The one thing that's probably still as good as it was in Kingsman: The Secret Service is the action. The sequences are stylish, fresh, energetic, exciting and there's also a good use of slow motion.

No comments :

Post a Comment